Perioperative Handoff Toolkit
Unique approach to conducting a patient transfer from OR to PACU/ICU.
DR. PETER PRONOVOST INTRODUCES
The Perioperative Handoff Toolkit
Mistakes are too often made when surgical teams transfer a post-op patient from surgery to the ICU or PACU. The problem arises when standard best practice is not in place and, therefore, vital communication is missed or misunderstood.
The Perioperative Handoff Toolkit provides a step-by-step approach to conducting a patient transfer from the time that the patient arrives at the PACU or ICU from the operating room. The Toolkit fulfills all of the Joint Commission handoff criteria and standardizes an easy-to-follow 5-step protocol that provides for limited interruptions through its organized structure.
- An easy to follow 5-step perioperative protocol
- 18-Minute Protocol Training Video
- User Manual:
- Introduction About the Science of Safety, from Dr. Peter Pronovost
- The Scientific Basis for the Handoff
- The 5-Step Process for Creating Buy-in for the Handoff Protocol
- Checklists for Verbal Reporting (Surgical, Anesthesiology and Nursing Providers)
- Standardizes patient handoff between the surgical and recovery teams
- Improves Hospital Safety
- Allows for direct, interactive, real-time communication and question clarification
- Defines an essential core team of handoff providers and directs their bedside presence
- Adaptable to fit the specific requirements of your hospital and your particular peri-procedural setting.
Piloted for patient transfers from the OR to the CSICU at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in 2009, its use spread across our hospital, and it is currently being used to conduct all adult peri-operative handoffs from the OR to the intensive care units (ICUs) and recovery room areas (PACU). The core tool has improved information sharing during handoffs, increased satisfaction of the receiving team, and decreased distractions during a very vulnerable point in a patient’s care (in-press data). In addition, it has subjectively leveled the playing field between the various practitioners who participate because there is a preset expectation of opportunities for asking questions and clarifying issues at the completion of the verbal report.
SOLUTION OVERVIEW: 1-page summary to share with your colleagues
WHY CHOOSE A JOHNS HOPKINS SOLUTION?
For more than 125 years, Johns Hopkins has led the way in both biomedical discovery and patient and population care. Faculty research most often leads to innovative protocols, programs and services, establishing the standard by which others follow and build upon. Our goal: make these innovations available beyond our walls to improve the health outcomes of individuals and populations—within our community and throughout the world.
Contact us to learn more about this solution and how it can benefit your organization.Get Solution