Hospital at Home
Acute hospital-level care to older adults in the comfort of their home.
HOSPITAL AT HOME® SUCCESS STORIES
From Presbyterian Health Care
How can a health care organization provide high-quality hospital-level care to acutely ill older adults in their home that improves outcomes, reduces health care costs and enhances the patient experience?
Hospital at Home® is an innovative care model for adoption by health care organizations that provides hospital-level care in a patient’s home as a full substitute for acute hospital care. The program is being implemented at numerous sites around the United States by VA hospitals, health systems (including Presbyterian Health System), home care providers, and managed care programs as a tool to cost-effectively treat acutely ill older adults, while improving patient safety, quality, and satisfaction.
Hospital at Home® includes a range of tools to support adoption and implementation by any health care organization including:
- Clinical eligibility criteria
- Implementation manual
- Financial planning and evaluation tools
- Patient recruitment and education tools
- Measurement tools
- Patient-tracking mechanisms
- Compared to similar hospitalized patients, HaH patients experience better clinical outcomes: lower rates of mortality, delirium sedative medication use, restraints. Better satisfaction of patient and family, less caregiver stress, better functional outcomes.
- Cost savings of 19% to 30% compared to traditional inpatient care;
- Lower average length of stay;
- Fewer lab and diagnostic tests compared with similar patients in acute hospital care;
- Advances the Triple Aim of clinical quality, affordability and exceptional patient experience.
Hospital at Home® was developed by researchers at the Johns Hopkins University Schools of Medicine and Public Health and successfully tested in a National Demonstration and Evaluation Study. Hopkins has successfully provided HaH adoption technical assistance to several health systems.
WHY CHOOSE A JOHNS HOPKINS SOLUTION?
For more than 125 years, Johns Hopkins has led the way in both biomedical discovery and patient and population care. Faculty research most often leads to innovative protocols, programs and services, establishing the standard by which others follow and build upon. Our goal: make these innovations available beyond our walls to improve the health outcomes of individuals and populations—within our community and throughout the world.
Contact us to learn more about this solution and how it can benefit your organization.Contact Us